Stack Overflow Survey Attempts to Gauge Reactions to Web3 and the Crypto Future of the Internet / World of Digital Information

A Stack Overflow investigation reveals tensions between developers over the development and potential future of Web3 amid growing concerns about cryptocurrency and blockchain.

Stack Overflow, a QnA forum for developers and computer enthusiasts, has decided to survey a total of 595 developers. To what end, you ask? The answer is an attempt to gauge reactions to Web3 across the board, perhaps even providing a balanced and more complete picture of exactly what’s going on with the technology. I am personally very excited to dive into this study; crypto, NFT, and blockchain have become such common terms in today’s social zeitgeist, and the three terms have garnered very mixed reactions across the world, ranging from outright invitation to open hostility . Aside from my own opinions on the matter, and believe me, I’ve had enough of them, I think it’s important to continue the conversation regarding this material. Such technology topics and introductions can have quite a big impact on the foreseeable financial future of the world, and staying informed is paramount. With that in mind, let’s quickly break down what Web3 is, then get to the copper dots.

So, fun fact, the World Wide Web actually has more than one iteration. As strange as it may seem, many tech enthusiasts tend to divide the Internet into Web1 and Web2. The difference between the two has nothing to do with the World Wide Web itself, but rather has to do with how information is disseminated on the net. Think of them as sociological terms rather than technical terms. For example, Web1 has placed more emphasis on personal web pages, with platforms such as Yahoo! GeoCities allowing users to create websites featuring only themselves for rather affordable fees. There were fewer online content creators and more consumers. That changed with what many see as a major demarcation point between Web1 and Web2: the advent of social media. With platforms such as MySpace and Facebook offering users the ability to create their own online identities without the need for websites, online social culture has taken a rather abrupt turn. Although we still come across personal blogs and the like, they are most often found on Instagram or TikTok.

Web3 is an idea started by netizens, which invites other online users to freely engage with cryptocurrency and make virtual currency the standard for all online transactions. This idea was originally proposed by Ethereum founder Gavin Wood (because of course it was), but has since gained traction with others in the cryptocurrency and NFT trading scene. To be fair, the latter were probably just happy to be included in something that didn’t result in self-ridiculousness. Web3 as an idea is not popular everywhere, however, and big names such as Elon Musk and Jack Dorsey have actively dismissed the idea as a provocative buzzword.

The best part is that not many people, even in the IT world, know the term. Of the entire study population, 36% of individuals had no familiarity with the concept. Of the remaining 64%, 25% called Web3 the future of the World Wide Web. 9% called the idea a scam, 15% called it an overtly generated hype product, and 14% felt it was important for strictly crypto-related business.

Read next: Can the metaverse coexist with data privacy laws? 33% of developers have doubts

Comments are closed.